Herbs have always been used by us. Primarily this was for their ability to make the food tastier. But now it is slowly being realized that these herbs have a lot of health benefits too. In fact, many of these benefits are known and the rest are still being discovered. Still, here is a list of those benefits of herbs that is already known.
- Herbs contain a lot of vitamins. This means that any kind of vitamin deficiency can easily be curtailed by adding on herbs to our daily diet.
- Herbs contain a lot of antioxidants. We are already aware of the properties of antioxidants and how important they are to our daily diet. They help to build up our immune system and keep us away from diseases.
- Herbs are an essential source of essential oils. These oils have anti-inflammatory properties. This is why these essential oils derived from herbs are used for relief of inflammatory conditions such as rheumatoid arthritis, ulcerative colitis and so on.
- There are many herbs that are helpful in reducing the sugar levels in the case of diabetics. This is why they are prescribed for people with such conditions.
- There are a number of herbs such as garlic that help in bringing down the cholesterol levels in the body. This is especially useful for those having a risk of heart disease. In addition, people already suffering from a heart condition will also benefit by using such herbs.
- There are many herbs that help in preventing, or at least delaying the onset of various illnesses such as Alzheimer’s disease. Thus they can be used for this purpose.
- There are a number of antioxidants, vitamins and more in herbs. Many of these are known to prevent certain types of cancer such as prostrate, endometrial and so on. Hence herbs have a major benefit this way.
- Herbs have a number of digestive properties too. Herbs such as mint aid in digestion. Various others act as a laxative. Thus issues such as constipation, diarrhoea can easily be taken care of by using herbs.
- There are certain substances in herbs such as rosemary that help to boost brainpower. Even their aroma gets mixed in blood stream and that is enough to enhance the thinking power of the brain.
- The pain sensing fibres in the colon can be soothed with herbs such as mint. Thus any kind of pain in passing stools due to the intake of chilli, mustard and so on can easily be soothed with the help of herbs like mint, coriander and so on.
- Herbs contain a lot of fibre. This aids in digestion by providing ease of passing stools that is so essential to remove the toxins from the body.
- Many herbs contain calcium. It is well known that calcium is vital for the health of our bones and teeth. In addition, there are certain herbs that aid in the absorption of calcium by the body. This way, herbs help to avoid any kind of deficiency in bone density, or similar other ailments of the bones. Healthier bones also mean lesser fractures and lesser joint pains. In addition any kind of bone problems can get cured and healed much faster.
- Various herbs are used to enhance appetite. They act as a diuretic too.
Thus herbs do much more than enhance the taste and flavour of food. In addition, these are natural products that have no side effects of any kind and can be used by people of all age groups.