Marshmallow root generally means that you would be having sugary treats just floating in your hot cocoa. The fact remains that marshmallow root can actually do you a lot of good. A few of the benefits of this plant are given here.
- The marshmallow root can be used to treat wounds in an effective manner. This would include bruises and burns. It can be used to soothe inflammation too.
- It is highly effective in relieving muscle aches as well as sprains.
- Marshmallow root helps to boost immunity and make the body resistant to diseases.
- Adding the sap of this plant to tea aids in relieving cold and a sore throat. This is because marshmallow root contains polysaccharides that have antibacterial and mucilaginous properties. This is why it has a soothing effect on the inflamed membranes of the mouth and throat in case of cough and cold. It also helps to prevent further irritation in such cases.
- The marshmallow root has a new use as a demulcent. It is able to form a soothing film over the mucous membrane. This helps in relieving all kinds of inflammation of this membrane that may be causing minor pain or discomfort. This is particularly useful for the inflamed tissues of the urinary tract, digestive tract, as well as the respiratory organs.
- It is a good diuretic. This is why it can help in the flow and increase the secretion of urine. This is why it can be used in the case of kidney stones. It is able to minimize discomfort during the passing of kidney stones. Marshmallow root along with other diuretic herbs is used to assist in releasing of gravel and stones and improve the kidney condition. In fact all the kidney care treatments comprise of marshmallow root.
- Marshmallow root helps to remove the toxins from the body and help in cleansing this way. This can help in protecting against arthritis as toxins responsible for this condition tend to get removed from the body this way. This becomes possible as marshmallow is able to promote phagocytosis. In this the dead cells, bacteria and other solid particles are engulfed by certain cells. This way the healing process gets enhanced and works faster.
- Marshmallow root can be used in the form of a tea, whether warm or hot. This can be used as a mouth wash to take care of bad breath.
- It is used to treat common digestive disorders including heartburn, stomach ulcers, indigestion, ulcerative colitis and so on. Regular use of marshmallow root will help to prevent stomach ulcers from perforating and bring relief from ulcerative colitis.
- Extract of marshmallow root added to cream can be applied to skin in cases of eczema as well as contact dermatitis.
- Radiologists are attempting to make use of marshmallow root in case of esophagus examination.
- Research is still on regarding the role of marshmallow root in helping with respiratory disorders such as asthma.
- The role of marshmallow root as an alternative to natural sugar is also being explored in the case of those afflicted with diabetes.
- Marshmallow root is popularly used as a flavoring agent in cooking.
- In case of exposure to cold leading to swelling of feet and hands, marshmallow root can be applied as an ointment. In addition, its extract can be applied to chapped skin and lips too.
It is quite evident that marshmallow root has a lot of uses. Some of these are already known while others are being researched upon.